The REALTORS® Association of Metropolitan Pittsburgh evokes a proud history of progress in one of the largest trade organizations in the nation. The National Association of REALTORS® now numbers over 1,400,000 members, a considerable increase over the 120 charter members who founded the National Association of Real Estate Exchanges back in 1908. Two years later, National established the principle of Exclusive Agencies.
The Pittsburgh Real Estate Board was chartered on May 1, 1911, with 30 members. It now numbers over 2,800 members. The purpose was “To create a closer bond and to improve conditions of the Real Estate business by united action directed to the common goal.”
In 1913 the National REALTORS® Code of Ethics (Golden Rules) was adopted.
In 1916, the term “REALTORS®” was adopted and National’s name changed to the National Association of Real Estate Boards, and in 1972 to its present name the National Association of REALTORS®, with the adoption of the “R” logo.
In 1929 real estate licensing was established by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Effective January 1, 1930.
The American Institute of Real Estate Appraisers (AIREA) was formed in 1938. In 1991 the AIREA and the SREA (Society of Real Estate Appraisers) merged to form the Appraisal Institute and withdrew from NAR. The Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM) was formed in 1939 and the Society of Industrial REALTORS® (now the Society of Industrial and Office REALTORS®) in 1942.
In 1948 women were accepted as Board Members (Claire B. Arnheim was the first women member) and in 1975 the Board elected its first women president, “Patricia A. Mattoon.”
The Board’s name was changed in 1955 to the “Greater Pittsburgh Board of REALTORS®” and again in 1991 to “REALTORS® Association of Metropolitan Pittsburgh.”
In 1961 “R-Day” (REALTORS® Day), an educational, social, and trade show day, now in its 40th year, held its first seminar. R-Day has become one of the Association’s key annual events.
In 1969 R-PAC, the REALTORS® Political Action Committee was formed to pool resources (money) and organize its distribution to those candidates who support REALTOR® issues and private property rights on a Federal level. In 1984 GPBR-PAC, the Greater Pittsburgh Board of REALTORS® Political Action Committee, was born to also pool resources, people and money, thereby providing an active vehicle for defeating or initiating legislation that affects real estate on a local level (Allegheny County). Today we collect for R-PAC, which in turn rebates dollars to our local PAC for exclusive use in Allegheny County.
In 1972, the Andron Epiphanon Fraternity was formed to honor those REALTORS® who excel in sales excellence.
1978 marked the year the Association became known as an “All REALTOR®” Board, marking a new opportunity for all licensees to become active, vote, and hold office, including the presidency.
1982 installed the first computer system “Tandy TRS80”.
In 1984, the Managers Division was organized to provide a forum for “managers” of real estate companies and offices.
1988 the REALTORS® Educational Institute expanded its operations by appointing Elaine K. Houser, M.Ed. as Education Director.
1991 Robert J. Johnson was appointed as the first Director of the newly formed Government Affairs Department.
In 1992 the REALTORS® Association of Metropolitan Pittsburgh Foundation was formed as a vehicle to handle charitable contributions, grant scholarships to individuals in their pursuit of real estate education, and establish a full-time research center and library for real estate.
In 1992, the first mandatory continuing education classes were held in Pennsylvania for real estate licensees. Fourteen (14) hours must be certified in order to renew licenses that expired May 31, 1994. This cycle continues biennially.
In February 1994, the REALTORS® Association of Metropolitan Pittsburgh endorsed the establishment of a credit union with the United Federal Credit Union.
January 1, 1995 is the effective date in Pennsylvania for “Board of Choice,” a new structure approved by the National Association of REALTORS® permitting the freedom of brokers (and agents) to elect the Board (Association) that offers them the best service for their dues dollar. A broker of record (real estate company) is no longer required to join the Board (Association) where their office is located.
1997 – RAMP’s web page established. (www.realtorspgh.com)
July 2001 purchased a building to be used for RAMP headquarters at 1427 West Liberty Ave. Pittsburgh PA.
October 11, 2001 signed merger documents with Mon-Yough Association of REALTORS® (McKeesport) to be effective 1/1/02.
September 2002 RAMP helps LaRoche College become the first institution of higher learning in Southwestern Pennsylvania to offer an Undergraduate Major in Real Estate.
August 2003 the Association moved into the new headquarters at 1427 West Liberty Avenue. This is the first time the Association owned their own building.
In 2011, RAMP celebrated its centennial year. The celebration event was held at the Senator John Heinz History Center, where artifacts from our first 100 years were on display.